Monday, April 7, 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: ‘F’ for Fenugreek Seeds

F for Fenugreek Seeds
Google Images
Day 6 of A-Z Challenge 2014 and here I am with ‘F’ for Fenugreek Seeds.

Fenugreek Seeds (Methi, मेथी, வெந்தயம்) is a common ingredient that is used for cooking in most Indian households. These tiny seeds add an aromatic flavour to Indian cuisine and are used in full while giving a ‘tadka’ or are roasted and powdered to add taste. Fenugreek leaves (Methi greens) are also excellent for health.

The seeds can be soaked along with Urad Dal before making the dough for Idli or Dosa. This increases the fluffiness of the idlis and crispiness of the dosas. Sprouted Fenugreek seeds add taste to salads.

Fenugreek seeds have a bitter taste with a terrific and positive effect on one’s digestive system. I have heard of people recommending the intake of Fenugreek seeds in the form of powder or soaked grains. Believe me, this is one way of ensuring that no one will consume the seeds. Taken in either form, one cannot miss the bitter taste and hence, most of the people I know, refuse to have it.

The best way is to swallow half a teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds along with water the same way that you would swallow tablets. You don’t get to taste the bitterness while the wonder effect on your body is awesome.

F for Fenugreek Leaves
Google Images

Why consume Fenugreek seeds at all?

Well, Fenugreek seeds have a wonderful effect on your whole system.

• It protects your stomach lining and ensures that you don’t get stomach ulcers.
• It acts as a digestive and ensures that you don’t get heartburn.
• It acts as a natural medicine whether you have constipation or loose stools. The effect is immediate unless the condition is chronic.
• Having Fenugreek seeds everyday sets your whole digestive system in order.
• It helps you lose weight over a period of time.
• Especially for those who consume alcohol, Fenugreek seeds save you from most of the evil side effects.
• It helps in the functioning of the Pancreas that secretes insulin, very helpful in the case of diabetics.
• Consumption of Fenugreek seeds in the long run helps your skin glow and your hair shine.

Do you need more reasons to use Fenugreek seeds?

A-Z Challenge 2014
'A' for Asafoetida
'B' for Bananas
'C' for Chin Mudra
'D' for Dance Therapy
'E' for Elephant Yam
'F' for Fenugreek Seeds


22 comments:

  1. I love fenugreek seeds, even in their soaked form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate them!, but thanks to all the benefits you have listed here, I do add the powder to the atta used to make chappatis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate their bitter taste too. Now its probably the wisdom with age. I have to say that makes my daughter and son quite mature ;D

      Delete
  3. My mother-in-law always buys a 100gm pack when she buys wheat. She roasts them and add them to wheat before giving it for grinding. We use it a lot in tadka's, dal to be pressure-cooked. Even my son's home made cerelac has a few pieces of it.

    Good info. I liked Why consume fenugreek at all? !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nilima! As usual you have added more info. I so wish you could have also participated in A-Z. All you had to do was create a post of minimum 100 words. Your comments are half as long ;)

      Delete
  4. I agree. It is such a healthy seed. Hoping to start eating.
    I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very informative! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do sometimes consume soaked fenugreek seeds...they are very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just knew 2 points in your list. Nice write. Thanks for the info Sundari Ji. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Preethi! Glad you find the info useful :)

      Delete
  8. I relish the taste & aroma of fenugreek both in the form of leaves and seeds. I use it heavily while making dosa batter & sambar. Sometimes, i soak a wee bit of the seeds, grind it till fluffy and apply it on hair, leave it on till it dries, wash it off well. Gives so much volume, bounce, softness and sheen to the hair. Am told fenugreek also aids in strengthening lower back & abdominal muscles and is given during confinement to ladies, after childbirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! Thanks for adding such awesome points. I forgot all about using it on hair. I used to do it regularly. And I had no idea about using it for new mothers. Thanks a ton for adding value to my post :)

      Delete
  9. Never tried them. Will add them to my list of healthy things. The wife and I are trying to be more healthy. This year I added flax meal to my smoothies to make them healthier.

    Visit us during the A to Z Challenge. We are highlighting authors who are more than writers. Click HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for stopping by and posting a comment. Will definitely check out your blog during A-Z Challenge. :)

      Delete
  10. Never had fenugreek but grown fennel before.

    Stop in from A to Z challenge.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dora, great to meet you here through A-Z Challenge. Will definitely check out your blog :)

      Delete
  11. This one I don't know, but we had something similar that was quite bitter, called cerocee it's a bush used to make tea...also good for digestion and belly problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Are you from Aussieland? Nice to know different cultures and food habits :)

      Delete